Call for KinectTM demonstrations
We invite the participants to enter a demonstration competition of applications of gesture recognition with KinectTM. At the site of the workshop, the participants will demonstrate their system and be judged by a panel of experts, who will grade them according to pre-defined criteria:
- relevance (an application of gesture recognition using KinectTM NOT limited to one-shot-learning like the gesture challenge),
- usefulness (or, if it is a game, playfulness),
- technical or scientific contribution,
- novelty/originality, and
- quality of implementation.
First prize: USD 5000,
Second prize: USD 3000,
Third prize: USD 2000.
- Register: The demonstrators should subscribe to our Google group gesturechallenge.
- Guidelines: The demonstrators should send a 2-page demonstration proposal in the CVPR format (see author's guidelines). They should take into account the evaluation criteria.
- Submission: The proposals should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
May 1, 2012. May 15, 2012
- Competition date: Saturday, June 16, 2012.
Call for papers
We are inviting the submission of papers on topics of interest to the workshop, not limited to the participants of the gesture challenge and the demonstration competition. The papers will be published in the proceedings of CVPR 2012.
- Guidelines: The papers should be no longer than 6 pages and follow the CVPR format (see author's guidelines). There is no requirement that the papers be anonymized (but if the authors wish to, they can remove the author names on the paper and only give the coordinates of a contact person in the submission email). The top ranking participants of the challenge are not guaranteed publication. The papers are peer reviewed. Good ranking in the challenge is only one of the criteria. The papers must also be technically sound and well written. It is recommended to compare methods and to give methodological insights rather than just describe what you tried chronologically.
- Awards: There will be a best paper award and a best student paper award offered by Pascal2, each of 200 Euros. The attribution of these awards will be made by the committee, based on the peer review of the paper. The review criteria are:
- Relevance: address gesture recognition problems
- Usefulness: solve the problem in a satisfactory way, lending itself to actual usability
- Novelty/originality: this criterion will be slightly de-emphasized for high ranking participants in the challenge
- Sanity: comparisons with other methods, principled methods, good experimental design, correct derivations/proof, good references
- Presentation: well written paper, good organization, tables, figures.
- Submission: The papers should be emailed to email@example.com.
- Deadline: Friday March 16, 2012.
To be published in the proceedings, at least on co-author must register to the conference (at least to the day of the workshop) by May 2, 2012.
The authors of the best papers will be invited to submit a longer paper in a special topic of the Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR) on gesture recognition.